Thursday, January 23, 2014

Almost there, then my internet died, then I arrived

Hello from Germany! I'm currently in the Frankfurt airport (just ate a hotdog!). I'm five hours into my nine hour layover. That's a long time! The airport here is very nice, though. Currently I am lounging in a provided "leisure zone"--the only place in the whole airport with reliable WiFi (believe me, I've checked.) Here's some highlights of my trip so far:

SeaTac:
  • Change of plans: As soon as I arived at the airport, I discovered that my flight had been rerouted. Instead of flying through Washington DC, I would fly to Houston, TX and Frankfurt, Germany before flying to South Africa.
  • ArtWalk: There's really unique artwork all around the A gate. Next to the each piece is a scanner code with a link to more info about the piece. Taking a quick tour provided a nice stretch and helped me wake up (at 6:30am).
Airplane from Seattle to Houston
  • I took a half an hour nap
  • Started reading Artemis Fowl (thanks Elise!)
  • Read 1001 Funniest Things Ever Said (thanks Uncle Pete!) and laughed a bit too loud...

Houston Airport (4 hour layover)
  • Found my next gate right away (yay!)
  • Purchaced and consumed a chicken and tomato baguette (yum)
  • Trains: There are two trains in the Houston airport--the terminal train and the interterminal train; both travel in loops. I rode the first train, which travels above ground, first, and enjoyed the sunny view. Then I found the second train, which runs below the ground. Not realizing I had passed a checkpoint, it took me a while to figure out how to return to my gate. I had to go through security again. Still, it was a great way to buy time and enjoy myself in the meantime.
-----
At this moment in the message, I was no longer able to access WiFi.

Hello again! I arrived in South Africa and am currently lounging in my new room! I was able to get 5 hours of sleep on the flight out of Houston, and 6 hours of sleep on the flight out of Frankfurt; I'm still tired, though.

Ways God answered prayer on this trip:
  • Our friends gave me some Euros. "When will I need these?" I thought to myself. After all, as far as I knew, I was going straight from the US to SA. But I prayed that God would bless the money and use it anyway. And sure enough, I ended up in the Frankfurt airport! The money allowed me to purchase a pretzel, a frankfurter (okay, so technically it was a brought worst, but it was the best worst ever!), a small loaf of bread, and a white chocolate drink from McDonalds (like a mocha without coffee).
  • Before I boarded the plane in Frankfurt, I needed a some sleep. So I prayed that God would provide a way, and hopped on board. Turns out, there was no one next to be the whole row, and I had 5 seats to myself to lay down on!

A big thank you to everyone who gifted me with the means to eat and drink on my journey! Also, thanks for all your prayers. And thanks to two of you, I have Disney songs stuck in my head. Although, "I can go the distance" is very applicable to me right now.

Till next post,

Nad

No comments:

Post a Comment